Sunday, November 16, 2008

Upside Down Walker

When I saw this week’s upside down challenge on the Different Strokes From Different Folks blog, I quickly decided I would do it in pastel. I often paint upside down and knew that it would be easiest for me in pastel. My husband pointed out that it was supposed to be a challenge, and this was a perfect opportunity for me to try to paint loose.

He did have a point. Painting it upside down would take my brain out of the process, and maybe I could paint it loose. I decided I would draw it out first. This seems counter-intuitive, but I think when I don’t draw it first I’m so obsessed with getting everything correct that I can’t concentrate on how I’m painting. So I drew out my composition (upside down, of course!) and went to work. I didn’t like how the reference photo made the woman look like she had laser vision or something, so I changed the background a bit, and flipped and cropped the original.

We’re allowed to spruce it up a bit after we turn it right side up, but I decided not to. I didn't want to re-work anything and take away the point of the challenge. It was a good learning experience (even though it would have looked better in pastel!).

Here it is, painted entirely upside down except for my signature.



7"x5"
Oil on Board

3 comments:

SYLVIANE said...

It's wonderful, the way you painted upside down, so accurately;I wasn't able to do that.
congratulations!

artbyakiko said...

Kari, it turned out GREAT!! This assignment was totally beyond me.:(

Vern Schwarz said...

Okay Kari, I had to tag you because of your fabulous art. If nothing else, it is recognition for what you do. Hope you enjoy this.