Thursday, October 15, 2009

Cupcakes and More Cupcakes

I didn’t get a chance to participate in the Different Strokes From Different Folks challenge for week 46-48 when everyone painted cupcakes. It looked like it would be a fun subject to paint, so when I had the time I took a crack at it.


“Cupcakes”
8” x 10”
Soft Pastel on Suede Matboard


I had so much fun painting them, but I really wanted to try the same subject on a different support. I heard about a new cupcake shop in Tacoma, so I drove over there looking for good references. I got them!

The shop is called “Sweet Things Cupcakes,” and is full of the most beautiful cupcakes I’ve ever seen. I didn’t get to try any of them because they weren’t gluten free, although the owner said they were planning on serving a gluten free cupcake eventually. The staff was very friendly and very kindly let me take some photos for references.



“Sweet Things”
9.5” x 12.5”
Soft Pastel on La Carte


If I could have eaten one, I’d have picked the Lemon Meringue (which I haven't painted yet). It looked fabulous! If you’re in the Proctor area of Tacoma, please stop by and try one so you can tell me all about it. I want to hear every yummy detail!

9 comments:

Sheila said...

Wow!!! I'm going to give you a post challenge Blue Ribbon for these simply luscious cupcakes!

Kari Tirrell said...

Thanks, Sheila! :)

Dana Cooper Fine Art said...

Oh my, these are beautiful cupcakes...you captured their lusciousness!!

Alvin Richard said...

Another beauty, the texture of you frosting is delicious!

Kari Tirrell said...

Thanks Dana & Alvin! That frosting looks pretty, but can you imagine eating all of it? Blechh. It's great fun to paint, though.

Marti Green said...

I just love and admire your art work. "Thanks for everything"
Marti :)

Kari Tirrell said...

Thanks, Marti - right back at ya!

Claudia Finn said...

They make me hungry! So realistic with textures, beautiful style of painting!

Kari Tirrell said...

Thank you, Claudia! I appreciate your taking the time to stop by and comment. :)